Random Ramblings

Sunday, August 28, 2005

An Interesting Sunday

This morning my mother and I decided to play our Google game. We think of a person that we've lost touch with and we look for links about their current lives. During the course of the hunt, we start looking for different people and AIM a surprise link. Well, my mother won this morning with a link involving a former piano teacher of mine. (Smoking Gun items are always a tragedy. Click here for the Playbill Online article)

Some of you know the intense nature of the tri-state area performing arts scene for school-aged children. I had prayers, fortune cookies, and car seating all planned before the bi-weekly trip to Mrs. Ivanov's. A bad lesson was a catastrophe, and not because I was embarrassed or because I let myself down; this woman was scary. However, she was one of the best in the state. Her students went on to win many competitions, not just the one she ran. As a mediocre school student who is secretly (or not so secretly) very competitive, I wanted to be the best (during the hours that I didn't want to quit) and Mrs. Ivanov was the way to go. She pushed many students to be better pianists than they would've been otherwise. I don't know how much I can fault her for that. However, Carnegie Hall? Someone else’s student? That's a little much.

You can read other people's comments about the incident here.


After recovering from my hysterical laughter about the Ivanov/O'Lone incident, I prepared for my first day of soccer in 14 years. When I arrived there were women with ages ranging from 18 - 40. We scrimmaged. I defended aggressively. I kicked the ball down the field a few times. I fell. Twice. Then I left.

I think soccer will be interesting. It's completely different crowd than the entertainment group. They were fun and competitive, and I didn't feel huge either. These woman were sturdy and played hard (No Mom. "Sturdy" isn't my way of saying lesbian, although there were a few out on the field.). I walked away feeling excited about playing soccer. I also walked away extremely sore.

My sore aching muscles were just screaming for a trip to the hot tub. While I was there I ended getting into a discussion about politics. Most people in entertainment are usually liberal, and those who aren't keep it to themselves. I was quite alarmed to meet a group of people who were all pro-life. They assumed that I was too. I was ok with the assumption for about 5 minutes. Then I had to say something. The discussion became a ping-pong game between me and another guy. I knew I should've gotten out of the water as soon as he said his favorite channel is Fox News Network because the reporting is so fair.

Killer Katrina may have missed me, but there are still very scary things going on in Florida. Oh yeah, the guy is also a gun carrying member of the NRA.

No comments: