Random Ramblings

Monday, February 06, 2006

JoMAAAAL (tm Kenneth Green...yes the same one)

Soleil's Dad left very touching comments in response to my 5AM Ramblings so I will respond directly on the blog.

You know it's funny. If I remember correctly, Soleil's Mom was in my African Diaspora and the World class. (Taught by a White Mormon named Dr. White...and maybe it was Chevonne not Shameika. but I digress.) How did our generation of Middle Class black women become uptight? We work hard to make the people who sacrificed for us proud; we work to create a new positive stereotype for the black woman; we've done all of this at the expense of exploring the side of our identity that exists behind closed doors.

Soleil's Mom makes me proud. Not only does she have an amazing education, career, and list of socially aware accomplishments, she's also managed to create a home with a beautiful baby with a loving (black) husband. She's living the American Dream, one that many young blacks (regardless of socio economic background) are convinced they won't achieve entirely, and your role in that makes me proud.

Enough with the sappy BS. I'm glad you saw a black sappy movie on opening weekend even though you need to prepare for the Oscars.

Oh yeah- I know we've had this discussion before, but YOU KNOW if Meik's hair looked crazy you'd be annoyed.

No comments: