Random Ramblings

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ten things I learned without a computer

1. A new hard drive is nice the first time around, the second time it's a pain in the ass.

2. There's enough reality television programming to keep me occupied for hours.

American Idol


3. Paris Bennett please stand still. I'm tired of seeing you bop around my television and we haven't even reached the second week of American Idol voting. Please don't make me hate you.

4. This week the women sounded pretty bad.

5. The men were worse.

6. Singing a whole song in falsetto on live TV is NEVER a good idea.

7. Watching AI with a recording engineer is like dining at the Olive Garden with a chef. I'm going to let out a big "Shut The Hell Up!" on the blog, because I really enjoy his company...and when I said it to his face he ignored me.


Dancing with the Stars


8. This week Jerry Rice out danced Stacy Keibler. Either way, Drew Lachey deserved the win.

9. Even though I enjoyed Dancing with the Stars, did we really need a two hour finale? Couldn't we watch Drew win for an hour and then see Desperate Housewives?

10. Mary J. Blige, how do you keep getting invitations to classy events? GTFOMTV!


My 29th Birthday was also this week and I can count the birthday wishes on one hand. What a non-occasion. Well, except for that woman who had a heart attack in the theater while I was calling the show...and the 3 people who vomitted throughout the day. Actually, I'm not bitter at all. I made so much progress on the "project" I've been completely energized. Now the countdown to 30 begins. Here's what I hope to have accomplished by February of 2007.

1. Lose 30 pounds.
2. Purchase a home.
3. Complete my staged reading and have the full production underway.
4. Be a Columbia Grad. How's the thesis reading coming Steven?
5. Have local people to celebrate the big Three-Oh with.

We'll see how these things go. I've been making progress with items 3, 4, and 5 the past few weeks and it would be a dream if the 2nd 30lbs would come off as easily as the first 30.


Question of the day:

Do vocal acrobatics make up for poor intonation?

1 comment:

Soleil's Dad said...

Kim - you are truly sick, but I love you. I could go bullet for bullet, but I'll just pick a few of your points to comment on. It's too late for me and Paris - she bopped one too many. 5513 (our house) was rooting for her too, till I got dizzy.

SINGING A WHOLE SONG IN FALSETTO ON LIVE TV IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA. Just wanted to reiterate.

I didn't peep Dancing with the Stars after mom-in-law left. I peripherally saw about 3 minutes of George Hamilton being critiqued. Worthwhile for next year?

Happy Belated birthday. The heart attack is a hilarious omen. Hoping she survived.

Your list of goals is impressive, even if not executed. I need to up my game. FYI - I'm going back to school in the fall. Just waiting on the acceptance letter from Georgia State. Hard to swallow, but gotta do it.

ANSWER: nope. While I admit that at times I'm impressed by what some singers hear outside of traditional harmonies, it's automatically reduced to noise if the tone is bad. Period. I don't however, hold resonance as the beacon of excellence in vocal quality; as some lyrics are best conveyed through other tones, ranging from husky to brash. But, I want to be assured that you as the singer intend the tone I am hearing, as opposed to me hearing the only tone you can offer. Phrasing is key to any performance (for me).